I finally got a new Garmin 920XT. I’ve been looking at it for quite awhile. My Garmin 910XT died last week so it was finally time. Wahoo! It’s super cool. I took it for a run at the Rose Bowl in the morning. I stopped to fiddle with the display screens and um, smell the roses!
Here’s some of the great stuff about the 920XT.
– Bluetooth to my phone. This enables a lot of the great new features.
– It still does all the Running, Swimming, Biking. GPS Stuff. And in color screen now. I have to reset the screen to my favorite data on each sport screen. That will take some time to remember what I want to know.
– It uploads a workout automatically and as soon as I’m done running, biking or swimming. Instantly on Strava. No waiting to go home and turning on the computer. I can add pictures to the Strava event right away.
– Activity monitor and Watch mode. I haven’t worn a watch on a daily basis for years. I’ll give it a try and see how it goes.
– Notifications. I get email and text notifications on my watch. Whatever notifications are on my phone, get pushed to my watch. You can read about a couple tiny screens of it.
– Wifi. It connects to my wifi at home. Set up with Garmin Express. I think it can upload as soon as I walk in the door.
– Summary data on the history is cool. Heart rate zone.
– I also downloaded new front watch faces, with cool data displays. I had to watch a YouTube video to figure it out. You need to use the Garmin Connect app on your phone. Download the watch face. Then dig through the settings to choose it.
– It works with a bunch of sensors. It easily detected my MioLink heart rate sensor. I’ve been putting it in my shorts on my thigh, so it’s one less thing on my wrist. The 920XT also works easily with my PowerTap.
– I bought it from my friends at Velo Pasadena. They’re great and offer our PTC Club a discount! Wahoo!
– Built in metronome. Coach Steve will be so proud! I always forget to bring a metronome for my runs. Now, I can’t forget it. The 920 measures the cadence of the run. It think it’s a good sync to see if my actual cadence is on par with the metronome.
– I bought the red and white one so it won’t get lost in the black interior of my car. I cannot tell you have many black gizmos have been ‘lost’ in my car.
Here’s some screen shots:
Trophies after a workout. Summary data in color.
New watch faces. Data filled, Cube, and Text Time